US President Donald Trump on Monday confirmed that the United States had been preparing to launch a military attack on Iran on Tuesday, but said he had decided to halt the operation after requests from key Gulf leaders as “serious negotiations” with Tehran continue.In a post on Truth Social, Trump revealed that a US military assault on Iran had been scheduled for Tuesday but Gulf leaders, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had urged him to delay the strike.“I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond. This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” Trump said.
Trump also said he had instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Daniel Caine and the US military not to proceed with the planned attack for now, while remaining prepared for immediate military action if negotiations fail.“Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” Trump added.The announcement followed days of escalating rhetoric from Trump amid signs that diplomatic efforts in the Middle East were close to collapse. After speaking with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday, Trump warned Iran in a post on Truth Social.“For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” he wrote.At the same time, both Washington and Tehran appeared to harden their positions. According to Fars News Agency, the United States wants Iran to surrender 400 kilograms of enriched uranium, limit operations to a single nuclear facility, abandon demands for war compensation and accept that most frozen Iranian assets would remain blocked.Iran, meanwhile, insisted that sanctions must be lifted, frozen overseas assets released and military operations across the region halted before talks could resume.
